Most company Safety Directors do not need to be reminded of the problems created by substance abuse in their workplaces. These challenges are present in every industry and are the leading cause of absenteeism, tardiness, lost productivity, and on-the-job injuries.
To understand the devastation of illicit drug use in the United States, the National Institute on Drug Abuse reports drug overdose deaths more than doubled between 2002 and 2015. Opioid and heroin use have become the leading cause of drug deaths, growing at a faster rate than other substances. Cocaine deaths continue to rise, frequently in conjunction with opioid use. What these statistics highlight is the likelihood that substance abuse may infiltrate every workplace if it has not already. The situation is not so much about whether, but when. A fundamental element of a successful workplace drug-free initiative is a well-coordinated random drug testing program.
Establishing a Drug Testing Program
One of the first steps in eliminating workplace substance abuse is to partner with a certified drug testing company to collaborate on creating the best program for your organization. The partnering company should help with the presentation of your drug-free workplace initiative.
The drug testing company can design the testing plan that fits your organization’s needs. Random, on-site testing is the least disruptive and most efficient testing protocol available. Sending employees to remote sites is not only dangerous but also will result in a notable loss of productivity and increased costs.
Types of Drug Tests
Determining the type of tests to conduct is an important decision for any Safety Director and the drug testing partner. Professional, fully licensed drug testing companies offer various methods of testing for the whole range of substances.
For example, drug tests may include:
- Urine Testing: Most common test for identifying the presence of substances. The samples are difficult to tamper with effectively or “cheat.” The testing can be lab-based or instant. This testing process can also test for the presence of adulterants in the sample.
- Oral Fluid Testing: A mouth swab will also identify or alert to the presence of most substances. Oral testing is the best “gender-neutral” testing procedure and is appropriate to conduct in full view of the tester. Saliva testing is done using a lab-based process (not instant testing).
- Hair Testing: Hair sampling can identify drug use over a much longer period, up to ninety days, than urine or oral fluid sampling.
- Alcohol Testing: Because alcohol is a major contributor to workplace injuries and death, testing for the presence of this substance is essential. The testing may be performed on either breath alcohol or oral fluid samples.
- Synthetic Drug Testing: Synthetic drugs are detectable in instant or lab urine analysis.
- Nicotine Testing: For companies with a smoke-free environment, nicotine testing is also available using a urine sample.
Testing should be performed at any time of day or night at the workplace. Also, companies can require pre-employment and post-hiring tests.
USA Mobile Drug Testing
USAMDT of Northeast Ohio can provide all of the necessary types of drug tests and counseling to help Safety Directors turn their companies into safer and less disruptive workplaces. USAMDT services will save time and increase productivity. Safety officers can rest assured when their organizations are truly substance abuse-free.
Moreover, with an effective program, you should experience an increase in morale among existing employees. Turnover will undoubtedly decrease as your employees recognize that their working environment is safer and less disruptive.